Current serving Prison Officers

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Dkxzz

Current serving Prison Officers

Post by Dkxzz » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi all.

New here, 20 Years old and just passed my RAD, currently waiting on pre employment checks. :slcl:

This may have already been covered but just curious whether you guys really enjoy your job?? Seen a sh*t load of negative things about it but it hasn’t put me off, as a whole I still reckon i’d Enjoy it.. Just wanted to get your opinions on the job? Does the media make it out to be a lot worse than it actually is?

FlamingYeti
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Current serving Prison Officers

Post by FlamingYeti » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:31 pm

Depends where you end up based, some are worse than the media make out, some better. But it's definitely not an easy place to work. That said, I've been in nearly 2yrs now and I'm still enjoying it, others that joined around the same time and after me have realised it wasn't for them. If there's anything specific you'd like to know feel free to PM me
The Internet never forgets. :slda:

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Current serving Prison Officers

Post by SWM5436 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:23 am

There is not another job like this in the world IMO. And as said above, you will either love it or you will realise that this isn’t for you. I’m not going to sugar coat it as it will give people the wrong idea. It can be horrendous at times, within my first 3 weeks we had called in the nationals 3 times to help deal with concerted ill discipline issues (riots) and an incident that lost us the use of one wing for the near future. I’ve had to cut people down from light fittings, window bars and deal with numerous self harm cuts and slashes some of which have required hospitilisation but these are your bad days, this isn’t an issue for me due to my previous role I’m the Army but for some it can be a massive problem. Drugs are rife in most prisons and you can never tell how someone will react when on spice.

On good days you get to chat to the prisoners and where possible help them out with things that they really appreciate and you get to come home feeling that you have achieved something.

The one thing you could find difficult is because of your age, most of the older prisoners in my jail do not like being bossed around by “the young ens”but that’s mainly due to their power hungry attitudes and don’t speak to them like human beings, and then there are the younger ones, around your age, who don’t enjoy being spoken to by anyone in authority and will try everything they can to get out of doing what your asking, the most important thing to remember is we are not here to judge them, no matter what they have done.

Set your boundaries quickly and stick to them, treat everyone fairly and you will do well.
It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity

Start of vetting to the call 17 weeks 2 days.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic