Living & Working in London

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

RKL

Living & Working in London

Post by RKL » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:36 pm

Hello all.
With my POELT fast approaching (26th of February) and nerves kicking in, I've started to look at the actual logistics of moving to London, more specifically outer London.

With no family or friends to move in with, I know house-sharing is the way forward. Having looked on Spare Room, Rightmove and Zoopla what became apparent early on is the cost of living in that part of the World, which came as no surprise.
What I would like to hear though is others experience of this.
Is it worth asking fellow POELTs on the same course what their plans are, maybe sharing with them? Are there any tips/tricks/or hints on how ro make the best of move like this? On an Officers wage, can you really enjoy life outside of work or do you find Payment Plus is the only way to make ends meet?

I currently work in a Prison as an AO. I fancied moving to London for a fresh start and to push myself; getting out of my comfort zone and having new experiences. However, the overwhelming attitude of staff at my current establishment, Officers in general (And a Governor), is one of 'why would you want to go there'?... but in stronger terms. The establishment I've chosen to go to doesn't fair much better neither.
With so much 'advice' I'm starting to have doubts, especially over housing.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks all.

MLC54

Re: Living & Working in London

Post by MLC54 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:14 pm

I’m in a similar position, as I’m moving to outer London myself. But I’m starting later than yourself in March.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic