Am I too old?

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

BigDave
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Am I too old?

Post by BigDave » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Homeboi.

I'm 43 and was the grandad at my course at Newbie revs. Most of the youngsters there treated it like an 18 30 holiday and it was a right knocking shop! I however took it seriously and want to make a career out of it!
Most of those youngsters wouldn't have lasted two minutes, the turn around of staff at my establishment is ridiculous! What makes a difference is maturity and life experience! 90% of the job is how you talk to and treat people,fact. When dealing with cons, it helps that you're a bit older than them cos they kind of respect their elders " sometimes " . A lot of my younger oppo's get shit off the cons because they don't like being told what to do by someone who's only just started shaving lol. And with that life experience, I can charm them behind their doors instead of wrestling with them.
I'll tell you now,it's a tougher job than you think, but if you're willing to get your hands dirty and take the rough with the smooth, you can have a fantastic career. Plus the banter and camaraderie is second to none in the service. I have a really dark sense of humor and have been dead inside for years, so I fitted straight in :slnuts:

Chalky
Rookie Member

Post by Chalky » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:11 am

I absolutely agree with bigdave.

My use of size etc. Was only because an earlier post tried to paint a picture of being an old punch bag.

The majority of staff in training are young and keen in the main, but you will add a different view on the issues that you face. Even the training staff will treat you differently.

I feel that it is a job where having some years behind you is a real advantage.

Hilts
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Hilts » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:24 am

I start at Newbold on 28/05 and I am 51. :slhehe:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic