What's the big deal with G4S?

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Re: What's the big deal with G4S?

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:05 pm

manc-apollo wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:50 pm
It is a shame that the only answers this member got was to either tell him to join public sector, or slating the private sector! I think going forward we all should offer advice if we know the answer and not just bombard with the just join hmpps. In all honesty that does not help anyone!
good point, what we need on here is a Prison Officer working for G4S who can actually stand up and say how marvellous it is

posts saying G4S pay the minimum, wage of 7.50 an hour ? what for Prison Officers? I got more than that working for a BP Petrol Station last year

manc-apollo
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:10 pm

A pco in the north of England is on min 20,995. So i dont know where this £7.50 came from. That 21k is based on a 39hr contract.

Irish13
Registered Member
Registered Member

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:10 pm

I have applied for a G4S job and due to start soon. The pay starts on 22,939 for 39 hr contract

manc-apollo
Navigator
Navigator

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:24 pm

They must of a payrise like hmp. Good stuff :slcl: :slhehe:

manc-apollo
Navigator
Navigator

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Keep us updated about g4s please Irish. It will be nice to hear about it.

villachris
Registered Member
Registered Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks for that manc apollo.not really been on the forum much since i posted this.i will be shortly coming off the forum for good as overall i wasnt happy the way sone members came across.and irish all i can say is so far its the best decision i made.4 weeks into training and loving it.a lot of hard work but you dong get things for nothing these days.people have their views and i have my own.good luck irish in whatever decision you make and thanks to the odd few members that answered my questions in a orderely manner.

Irish13
Registered Member
Registered Member

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:01 pm

Villachris hows the training going ? What do you actually do for training is it classroom based and some practical?

villachris
Registered Member
Registered Member

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:18 pm

Training is brillilliant irish and very fun also in the process.yes its hard work.theres a lot to take in but very good.the first week was all classroom stuff,but as the weeks have gone on theres more practicals.passed my advanced first aid today.the trainings broken down so your not just doing class stuff but also doing practicals inbetween theory if you know what i mean.get our uniform next week.i have to be carefull what i say now on forums and other social media but really enjoying it so far.also done some shadowing on the wings which was great.overall irish im enjoying it.

manc-apollo
Navigator
Navigator

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:06 pm

Keep at it Chris! Dont come off here because of other people! Its good to here from the private sector. I have worked with many tornado teams from the private sector on different jibs! No one slags it off the all enjoy it and i hope you and Irish enjoy it. Stay safe 👍

Irish13
Registered Member
Registered Member

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi villachris quick question what is the actual uniform i see on my form it asks for shirt and pants sizes but also asks me for combat pants size.and polo tshirt size. ? Just confused what the two diff types of uniform are for? And have you been given any type of shift patterns yet?

villachris
Registered Member
Registered Member

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:34 pm

You get trousers,shirts,ties,big jacket and a fleecy jacket.i had ti buy my own boots and u bought myself a utility belt which was a tenner of ebay.we wont get our shift pattern till we finish but its a 3 month rota that keeps rotating every 3 months if you know what i mean.so basically you can see you pattern yearly.just past my control and restraint last week which was fun even tho i had a kick to the face.lol.it was a damm gud scrap with the instructors.im so enjoying it and being in the prison envioroment has really opened my eyes in a good way but you always get your bad ones.had a phone calk last week to say all my vetting was finished.when we pass out in feb they have a graduation day where your family can come and some of the enhanced prisoners come down and talk to your families to put their minds at ease a little.they put a buffet on and you get awarded with alk your certificates.as i said im really enjoying it and so glad i went through with it but its been tough at times and not really had much time spare inbetween but hopefully ill get what i want and thats to get my pco badge at the end of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic