What's the big deal with G4S?

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Stacey_evans96
Registered Member
Registered Member

What's the big deal with G4S?

Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:54 pm

What's the big deal with G4S? I've heard loads of bad reviews about it when it comes to prison officer?
Just want to know why?

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Re: G4S

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:50 pm

Stacey what is your status? Are you candidate? POELT? Officer? what?

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: What's the big deal with G4S?

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:04 pm

It’s not only prison officer, the companies security record on whole is a joke.look at their record with the olympics, couldn’t fulfil the contract which resulted in the armed forces having personnl put through door supervisor courses so that they could provide security for the games.
It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity

Start of vetting to the call 17 weeks 2 days.

Stacey_evans96
Registered Member
Registered Member

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm currently in the middle of the prison custody officer process with G4S. Got my RAD in march

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:57 pm

Good luck, I would do more research on the failings of the company before going any further, surely there are HMPPS prisons close by if you want to be a prison officer?
It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity

villachris
Registered Member
Registered Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:17 pm

Im glad someone has started a thread on this!!!!
Apparently g4s are a joke and civil service prisons are run better.
Tbh!!! Im sick of seeing people asking genuine questions and advice on g4s run prisons and such negative and nasty comments.
The first thing you can gaurantee is someone saying "dont join them join join hmps" lol!!!!
Im due to start with g4s and spoke to several members of staff over the past few months. And yes there has been some negative things to say but also some positive things.
Every company or place of work has their bad points and good points.(apart from a civil service prison.).

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:21 pm

I have on several occasions written the failings of g4s and their recruitment process.
Use the search function.

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:33 pm

It would seem neither of you have done your homework on the company you are about to join.

Here is some light reading for you:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... birmingham

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -contracts

You can slate the state prisons all you want, it’s their tornado teams that do G4S’s job when it comes to bringing their prison back under control.

I presume by the name Chris that you will be going to Winson Green/HMP Birmingham? G4S have a contract for the amount of staff they have at that prison and it isn’t enough, you won’t be getting anymore than the staff numbers in that contract.

All I can say is stay safe.

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:40 pm

G4S circumvent fines each year of £50 million/year by the government on contractual failures by having a false recruitment process.
All vetting is instigated by SSCL or shared services, wether private or hmpps. ( this is an important point, remembr this)

PCO recruitment for hmp altcourse October 17th 2016 start date.

26 people recruited.
All interviews passed.
Start date given.
Notices handed in and 26 people ready to start.
On the Friday ( 14th October 2016) 26 people were called nd told not to bother turning up on Monday as vetting had failed.
26 people now without jobs.
Upon further enquiries SSCL had NO instruction to start vetting.
They g4s, do this so they can go back to the government each year and say that they are recruiting but cannot find suitable people.
It saves them £50 million in fines per year.
In some cases people have been removed mid-course for the same reasons.
They want to keep staffing levels very low.
Around 1 officer to 45-50 cons.
Hmpps levels are much much lower for safety.
G4s put profit before safety.
If the muck hits the fan, the staff are made scapegoats to cover directors behinds.
Coroners court spring to mind.

We have 8 or 9 ex PCO at our jail. They hated g4s. They say hmpps is much better. It has its issues , yes, but a lot safer.
Work rotas are better
Well being for staff are better
Management are better
Moral is better.

Plus hmpps prison officers have the powers of a constable whilst on duy, G4S do not. Its another safe guard.

manc-apollo
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:46 pm

Private jails have tornado teams as well! Ive worked a few conserted indisciplines with private teams i was even on a sheild and had two serco oppos at the trouble down south!

manc-apollo
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:48 pm

And private jail tornado teams were at Birmingham with us. Just saying.

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:49 pm

Never said they don’t have the teams, but it was state tornado teams that brought Birmingham back under control not Serco and definitely not G4S

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:51 pm

We had 12 officers down at Birmingham for the outburst....
Made a fortune!!!!!

Alright Dave
Official Member
Official Member

Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:56 pm

villachris wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:17 pm
Im glad someone has started a thread on this!!!!
Apparently g4s are a joke and civil service prisons are run better.
Tbh!!! Im sick of seeing people asking genuine questions and advice on g4s run prisons and such negative and nasty comments.
The first thing you can gaurantee is someone saying "dont join them join join hmps" lol!!!!
Im due to start with g4s and spoke to several members of staff over the past few months. And yes there has been some negative things to say but also some positive things.
Every company or place of work has their bad points and good points.(apart from a civil service prison.).
Well said
This site has elements of nasty individuals who just thrive on their negativity. It's the same names pop up along with their followers! I for one won't be able to see their comments as they are on my foe list. I have no desire to read anything they feel we all need to know.

villachris
Registered Member
Registered Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:06 pm

I first joined the forum to ask questions on being a prison custody officer and what the job role is like.
Like a number of new recruits i was nervous and intrigued to hear what current staff thought of the role.
Im under no illusions that this role isnt for the faint hearted and not every person would take to a role like this hence why i joined.
Tbh i never really got the answers to my questions.
People seemed more bothered in which company i was working for than actually answering my questions like many other people who are new on this forum.
I thought thats what a forum was for,sharing experiences etc.

By the way not once have i ever slated a public sector prison and i also know about the olympic games contract as at the time i was serving in the armed forces myself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic