Is there many transgender prison officers? And whats the prison policies on searching?

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Irish13
Registered Member
Registered Member

Is there many transgender prison officers? And whats the prison policies on searching?

Post by Irish13 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:57 pm

Just wondering if transgender prison officers are more common than we think? And also whats the policies in males searching women and women searching males?

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Is there many transgender prison officers? And whats the prison polices on searching?

Post by SgtBush » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:37 pm

I dont know how many their are and frankly I don't care. Officers are officers. They have my back and I have theirs.

Males search males.
Women search males and females and children.

Peppa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Is there many transgender prison officers? And whats the prison polices on searching?

Post by Peppa » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:41 pm

It’s a person at the end of the day, not sure why it matters?

Huntsman22
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Huntsman22 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:42 pm

:slag: regardless of gender I would back up a staff member
‘But if you never try, you’ll never know’

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:19 pm

Regarding the full searching of transgender prisoners, female officers search the female part of the prisoner and male officers then search the male part.
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by SgtBush » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Only after a grc and pre op

Irish13
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Irish13 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:04 pm

Yeh i totally agree gender, race, or religion doesnt make a difference about an officer aslongs they can do the job. I was just asking as its something that has came up on my intake.

aroper1953
Rookie Member

Post by aroper1953 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:19 am

SgtBush wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:21 pm
Only after a grc and pre op
Hmm Ive just completed the new diversity in the workplace training package you have too ask how they identify and if they would like a male or female officer, you could be subject to a dirf if you use the wrong pronoun or insist on a grc, whether you agree or disagree with the new policy I think we should be honest about it
Straight away he clocked us for what we were. Small-time wasters with an accidental big deal.

Prison Officer
NBR Class of '19

WentwestCO
Rookie Member

Re: Is there many transgender prison officers? And whats the prison policies on searching?

Post by WentwestCO » Mon May 25, 2020 2:09 am

This is a mess from a prison standpoint. Here in the U.S., if a prisoner is born male he is in a male prison, unless transition is complete. Those who are in stages of becoming female get an ID card that says “Transgender, to be pat searched by female staff”. If a strip search is required, a male staff member does it. The reasoning is that a pat search can be upsetting and feel violating to these inmates. Blows my mind. F them. If they want to play girl, don’t get locked up, do it on your own dime. Our Federal judges in the U.S. have become weak and indifferent to anything outside of their ivory tower. Just my thoughts over 35 years working.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Re: Is there many transgender prison officers? And whats the prison policies on searching?

Post by falkor » Mon May 25, 2020 12:11 pm

Yes I concur WentWest but tread gently :slhe:

Welcome to the site
Here in the U.S., if a prisoner
thanks for joining this UK website but what about the US site? is it still www.prisonofficer.org ? << (doesnt happen in Chrome, use IE or another browser) or is there another one? :slhehe: cheers, f

WentwestCO
Rookie Member

Post by WentwestCO » Mon May 25, 2020 6:58 pm

prisonofficer.org Is hardly visited anymore. Not sure why. I also am curious to see how things are done elsewhere.

Foxontherun
Rookie Member

Post by Foxontherun » Tue May 26, 2020 6:22 pm

There’s a few trans prison officers around the UK, myself included, we do all the normal duties relevant to our gender so as a MtF I don’t do the full search on males (the whole squat level A search) only the rub down searches. Part from that it’s normal.

In terms of searching its females searching males, females and children and men searching men.

With trans prisoners, it’s entirely different so female searches the top half and Male searches the rest in terms of the level A search. Unless they have had surgery then it’s female searching. Be worth reading the policy’s about it.

WentwestCO
Rookie Member

Post by WentwestCO » Tue May 26, 2020 9:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback Falkor. In the end it is true, they are people. One of the issues that frustrates many staff is that unlike your nation, healthcare here is a commodity. If you can’t pay you will only get the care necessary to sustain life. Yet rape or murder or any number of offenses that get you locked up, you get free healthcare.
Now our judiciary has ruled that sex change issues and hormone therapy must be provided and at great expense to the taxpayers. All this while law abiding people go without needed care. I often wish we had something like your NHS.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Post by falkor » Wed May 27, 2020 5:52 am

your Judges have decided your prisoners have to get the 5 * health treatment while locked up, ok that is not wonderful but what is wonderful is that while all thats going on they're not out committing further rapes or murders and sentences in the US are real while we in the UK just play at it, lets be honest, UK sentences are lightweight and SHORT TERM, cheap basically, doesnt cost too much (thats what counts)
Irish13 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:57 pm
Just wondering if transgender prison officers are more common than we think? And also whats the policies in males searching women and women searching males?
going back to the start of the thread (above) Irish asked 'Just wondering if transgender prison officers are more common than we think?'
well now we have Fox coming on here stating she is trans so its a shame Irish is no longer around here to query Fox with whatever his questions were

PipPaddie

Post by PipPaddie » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:42 pm

In case anyone is still reading this thread, still interested months later - often, they are more common than you may think. However, it is much more common to see MtF transition. I am a rather rare, to put it lightly, FtM transition. Testosterone therapy, however, means it's hard to "tell." I am pre-top surgery but use a binder, hidden under clothes. I have used testosterone for a couple of years.

To anyone who doesn't know - and there are officers I work alongside who do not know - I appear as a relatively short, young-looking (I'm mid twenties but look around 19) and femme looking guy with full stubble, and a flat (bound) chest. A con wouldn't be able to tell, certainly.

In my establishment, I cannot do full searches of *anyone*, even males, but can rub down search males as standard. I also have a couple of legal protections, should my status cause trouble for me, which is a comfort. So perhaps they are more common - but you simply cannot tell! However, I would say from my experience that it is rare. Anyone who wishes to join the service as a transgender person, I would always recommend it - I have never had aggression and issues that I couldn't put down myself. A person is a person is a person, at the end of the day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic