has anyone appealed against failed vetting and been succesful

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Mcfc26
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: has anyone appealed against failed vetting and been succesful

Post by Mcfc26 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:15 pm

Cydders06 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:06 pm
That's good for folks on here to know as there's so much worry and confusion for some over the smallest of things way back in their past.. I've read lots of posts whereby people are not sure what they need to disclose in terms of small things such as fines which they know are not in a dbs
I currently hold CTC for the Home office and need it for the CAT A I've applied for spoke to SSCL today and because it's only just been recently renewed at the 5 year mark it can be transferred across what they said generally takes roughly 2 weeks but you know how usless SSCL are
It'll probably take longer. But because I my role is at a airport also I need a enhanced DBS so I've got both.

I had a NFA 11 years ago for common assault it's never showed on my CTC or enhanced DBS.
Applied April 17
Rad May 17
Oh assist May 17
Merit listed May 17
Conditional offer 25th Oct 17
Vetting submitted 26th Oct 17

Cydders06
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Cydders06 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:22 pm

Will be comforting for people on here to have a bit more clarity.. although, it's odd they still state we are exempt if legally they are not allowed to do this any more

Mcfc26
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mcfc26 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Cydders06 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:22 pm
Will be comforting for people on here to have a bit more clarity.. although, it's odd they still state we are exempt if legally they are not allowed to do this any more
Cut a long story short it's up to the police what information they want to give them and what information they feel the need they don't want to give the

Example somebody could have a conviction for assault 3 years ago that information would be given by the police.

Somebody could have a no further action for assault 10 years ago and wasn't charged for it. The police will look at a few circumstances on weather they want to disclose it or not for instance age of offence and have you had any more encounters with the law they will not disclose more information than they need too.
Applied April 17
Rad May 17
Oh assist May 17
Merit listed May 17

Scoobyy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Scoobyy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:42 pm

If they decide to disclose NFA, will it show on the DBS certificate?

Mcfc26
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mcfc26 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:47 pm

Scoobyy wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:42 pm
If they decide to disclose NFA, will it show on the DBS certificate?
Yes why didn't I just put it that way.
Applied April 17
Rad May 17
Oh assist May 17
Merit listed May 17

Scoobyy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Scoobyy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:53 am

Didn’t put it down because the vetting form asked to list convictions, NFA is not a conviction.

Mcfc26
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mcfc26 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:40 am

Scoobyy wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:53 am
Didn’t put it down because the vetting form asked to list convictions, NFA is not a conviction.
I never declared mine from 11 years ago held 3 ctc and 3 enhanced dbs in the time period nothing's never showed.
Applied April 17
Rad May 17
Oh assist May 17
Merit listed May 17

Mccudden
Banned Member

Post by Mccudden » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:31 am

Mccudden wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:04 pm

I second this, I did not declare an NFA once under Convictions & Cautions and failed my vetting for another job. I had to appeal which took months as a NFA is not a Conviction or Caution and it was one hell of a ball ache!

They rejected my appeal with a simple "You have failed to declare a past encounter with the police, we will no longer be continuing with your application" or words to that effect. In the end I appealed again using my local MP and the appeal was upheld, happy days :) I was then rejected as I didn't match the current recruitment requirements (the Met was having BAME recruitment drive). In the end I count myself lucky I dint get that job as for a place to reject me based on the colour of my skin is no place I want to work.
As I said previously it is best to declare, if you don't and the police disclose it then you may end up setting yourself back. End of the day its shows your integrity and stops any worrying.
"Red sky at night. Shepherd's delight. Blue sky at night. Day"

Boopster40
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Boopster40 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:44 am

Hi Snoodles, Did you have a letter in the post detailing what you failed on as I have no idea ? I have heard that they send a letter out telling you why you failed and explaining the appeals process. I am hoping it is something minor like a reference but I cant believe they would fail people without contacting them and giving them the opportunity to rectify this yourself. Please let me know how your appeal goes. Fingers crossed.

Snoodles89
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Snoodles89 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:52 pm

Yeah I recieved a letter detailing what was wrong so sent my response with new referee details etc don't see why they can't use the method of hmrc like the new pr9cess of vetting really strange but I will keep everyone informed of my progress I'm hoping that everything goes smoothly as was devastated when I received the failure email !! But one thing I have read on here some where is they won't disclose why u failed if it is due to friends or something they see to do with another person e.g. 3rd party failure
Applied 27th June
Rad passed 4th July
Conditional offer 8th July
Vetting started 13th July
Vetting failed : 17th Oct
Appeal started 18th Oct
Reason for failure recieved 30th Oct

Awaiting further contact

Snoodles89
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Snoodles89 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Just an update rang shared services to find out what's going on as my references still have not been contacted apparently they will request information from HMRC as part of new way of retrieving references which is all part of new vetting scheme but they couldn't do that for my previous application as started before August September time sooo that's good new I asked what will happen they said they will retrieve and digest info at approvals and compliance team and start from the place u failed vetting in my case last hurdle references as pnc etc all passed so he said sit tight check Steria and vetting for emails and contacts fingers crossed
Applied 27th June
Rad passed 4th July
Conditional offer 8th July
Vetting started 13th July
Vetting failed : 17th Oct
Appeal started 18th Oct
Reason for failure recieved 30th Oct

Awaiting further contact

Boopster40
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Boopster40 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:38 am

Good news, got my letter and I failed due to one reference not coming in. Have contacted my old employer today and asked them to send confirmation of employment to me so that I can forward it on. Fingers crossed I can get my decision overturned.

Alright Dave
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Alright Dave » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:55 am

Does an enhanced DBS show what would be on the PNC? I have looked at sites that say it does but a few people on here seem to think otherwise.

danboy17
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by danboy17 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Nope it does not,

Alright Dave
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Alright Dave » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:48 pm

Anything on PNC should be on DBS to stop any and all confusion or grey areas. If it's not on DBS it shouldn't be anywhere else.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic