has anyone appealed against failed vetting and been succesful

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Porecruit17
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: has anyone appealed against failed vetting and been succesful

Post by Porecruit17 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:38 pm

I've had a NFA few years ago and did not declare it on a previouse application and failed as it came up on the PNC.

Declare everything... Personal opinion

Mccudden
Banned Member

Post by Mccudden » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:04 pm

Porecruit17 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:38 pm
I've had a NFA few years ago and did not declare it on a previouse application and failed as it came up on the PNC.

Declare everything... Personal opinion
I second this, I did not declare an NFA once under Convictions & Cautions and failed my vetting for another job. I had to appeal which took months as a NFA is not a Conviction or Caution and it was one hell of a ball ache!

They rejected my appeal with a simple "You have failed to declare a past encounter with the police, we will no longer be continuing with your application" or words to that effect. In the end I appealed again using my local MP and the appeal was upheld, happy days :) I was then rejected as I didn't match the current recruitment requirements (the Met was having BAME recruitment drive). In the end I count myself lucky I dint get that job as for a place to reject me based on the colour of my skin is no place I want to work.
"Red sky at night. Shepherd's delight. Blue sky at night. Day"

Vicavac
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vicavac » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Oh my... I didn't realise that we had to declare NFAs as well.... Mine was 7 years ago..

So if I've been in vetting for 15 weeks, should I email them to declare it now??? 🤔

Porecruit17
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Porecruit17 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:36 pm

Vicavac wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:49 pm
Oh my... I didn't realise that we had to declare NFAs as well.... Mine was 7 years ago..

So if I've been in vetting for 15 weeks, should I email them to declare it now??? 🤔
Yes, I would. Again some people might say leave it. But personally I think they could see this as not being honest.

Mccudden
Banned Member

Post by Mccudden » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:32 pm

You should tell them ASAP, better safe than sorry.
"Red sky at night. Shepherd's delight. Blue sky at night. Day"

Vicavac
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vicavac » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:02 pm

I will do that, thank you for the advice...

Mcfc26
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mcfc26 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:52 am

NFA's will show on a enhanced DBS/CTC vetting depending on weather the police feel it needs to be on there depending on the role your applying for. A PNC check is done but it all depends on weather or not the police see it appropriate to add it or not disclose it.

Only the person can do a ACRO check what costs £10 to get a complete print out of a PNC a company or organisation can not request this it's against the law.

So it's a bit of a 50/50 weather you declare NFAS or not it all depends on the police. Personally I had a NFA when I was 15 almost 12 years ago for common assault for a fight at school. Since then I've had CTC for the military and held ctc twice for the Home office working in the immigration and detention contract and nothing has ever been flagged up to me.

It's like Russian roulette and all depends on if the police want to disclose it or use discretion.
Applied April 17
Rad May 17
Oh assist May 17
Merit listed May 17
Conditional offer 25th Oct 17
Vetting submitted 26th Oct 17

mpeng82
Official Member
Official Member

Post by mpeng82 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:13 pm

sorry if i have missed but what is the email addreaa for tje vetting team.

didnt realise (my stupidy) that you had to declaire speed awareness course so would like to email to inform the team

Scoobyy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Scoobyy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:09 pm

Does NFA show up on enhanced dbs?

Mcfc26
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mcfc26 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:28 pm

Scoobyy wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:09 pm
Does NFA show up on enhanced dbs?
It all depends weather the police feel the need to disclose it or not depends on offence role your applying for ..

Ect
Applied April 17
Rad May 17
Oh assist May 17
Merit listed May 17

Scoobyy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Scoobyy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:44 pm

Thanks for reply, I applied for a pco role with Geoamey.
They doing a enhanced dbs, they told me i will get the dbs sent to my home address, and i will need to post it to them.
Just wondering if NFA will show for PCO role?

Cydders06
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Cydders06 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:46 pm

Yeah, lots of confusion over this but you are right as is Patch.
I am of the understanding that an Enhanced dbs is under the rehabilitation of offenders act and so subject to filtering. So while the pnc is part of the process for that, we have signed a declaration to say we are exempt and so all intelligence felt relevant is disclosed

Mcfc26
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mcfc26 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Cydders06 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:46 pm
I am of the understanding that an Enhanced dbs is under the rehabilitation of offenders act and so subject to filtering. So while the pnc is part of the process for that, we have signed a declaration to say we are exempt and so all intelligence felt relevant is disclosed
[/quote

In March 2015 a law came into effect that makes it a criminal offence to force someone to use Subject Access in this way. The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) recognises that the practice, known as 'enforced subject access' is not the legitimate means of doing so. Anyone who provides information from a Subject Access disclosure, rather than the formal criminal record check system, 'runs the risk of sharing more information than they need to.'

What is basically says is that a company or organisation even the civil service can not so a PNC on somebody. A PNC is integrated in with a CTC/enhanced DBS so it all depends if the police feel the need to disclose certain parts of your PNC to the civil service or not it's 50/50 it probably depends on who's in front of the computer on thay day processing it.

Applied April 17
Rad May 17
Oh assist May 17
Merit listed May 17

Mcfc26
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Mcfc26 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Mcfc26 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:56 pm
Cydders06 wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:46 pm
[/quote

In March 2015 a law came into effect that makes it a criminal offence to force someone to use Subject Access in this way. The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) recognises that the practice, known as 'enforced subject access' is not the legitimate means of doing so. Anyone who provides information from a Subject Access disclosure, rather than the formal criminal record check system, 'runs the risk of sharing more information than they need to.'

What is basically says is that a company or organisation even the civil service can not so a PNC on somebody. A PNC is integrated in with a CTC/enhanced DBS so it all depends if the police feel the need to disclose certain parts of your PNC to the civil service or not it's 50/50 it probably depends on who's in front of the computer on thay day processing it.

Subject access request is basically a full PNC print document on a person.
Applied April 17
Rad May 17
Oh assist May 17
Merit listed May 17

Cydders06
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Cydders06 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:06 pm

That's good for folks on here to know as there's so much worry and confusion for some over the smallest of things way back in their past.. I've read lots of posts whereby people are not sure what they need to disclose in terms of small things such as fines which they know are not in a dbs

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic