Risk of the job

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Peppa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Risk of the job

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:00 am

Are you suggesting or telling? Please quit your patronising responses it’s immature

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:07 am

Peppa wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:00 am
Are you suggesting or telling? Please quit your patronising responses it’s immature
Who is that directed to?

Peppa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:09 am

The person suggesting I’m on w high horse because I dared dared disagree

manc-apollo
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:14 am

Wow! What a thread! Lol

Peppa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:19 am

I know I’m
Done now. :slRA2:

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:21 am

And now your doing exactly what they did...
Patronising.
Not big and not clever.

You may not like this and to be honest I dont really care...
You started the argument in post 2 or 3 I think.

The response was not harsh, it was truthfull and despite me trying to explain why it was not harsh you continue to argue the point.
That's your opinion and your entitled to it but go exercise your entitlement elsewhere.

To sugar coat replys is DANGEROUS.
If your taking offence at this then please reconsider your career choice.
To suggest to someone that that response is inappropriate ( in the context of replys on this subject content of this thread) in its self inappropriate and ultimately DANGEROUS.
Last edited by SgtBush on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peppa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:26 am

I don’t really care what your opinion of me or my opinions are . If you read correctly what I said I said you shouldn’t offer careers advice not sugar coat, you read what you chose to read

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:30 am

If offering careers advice includes" have a re-think" then its appropriate based on the reply's on the thread.
This hs been argued many times over on the forums.

worriedfather
Registered Member
Registered Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:04 pm

Firstly I'm not a prison officer or would even attempt to know what you go through on a weekly basis but my interest here is that my son is soon to start his training.

I have Two close friends, recently retired that have over 50yrs in the service and another who was an OSG so as you can imagine the tails I've heard from them have been quite enlightening!

I realise the job has changed over the years but even after what my son has been told from said officers he is still very keen to take up his role.

My point Is that some of the stories I've heard really do open your eyes and when I hear the sort of the questions asked on here and the ease of which people are offended, I do sometimes fear for my Sons safety if and when he finally gets on those landings.

Luckily my pals still have friends that are serving officers so he will hopefully have some older lads watching out for him.

In my line of work there are a lot of ex-service lads and from what I can see the basic 'look out for each other' and camaraderie is what's needed in the prison environment.

Best of luck to all of you.

FHNBG
Registered Member
Registered Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:11 pm

Peppa wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:26 am
I don’t really care what your opinion of me or my opinions are . If you read correctly what I said I said you shouldn’t offer careers advice not sugar coat, you read what you chose to read
I'm not trying to offend here, but personally if a serving prison officer told me to reconsider my career choice based on the questions I was asking...I probably would?! They know better than anyone else. Surely its better to get the hard truth 100% of the time, even if it means hearing something you don't want to?

Karen47
Counsellor
Counsellor

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:10 pm

Just my view..... To receive advice (wether by forum, face to face, email, letter etc) is an offer of guidance. It's up to the person receiving the advice as to wether they heed it or ignore it. There is a vast amount of advice given on this forum by serving officers & potential officers, they all have an opinion and a right to give that opinion. When someone asks a question, it's asked out to ALL on this forum and the op will get a variety of mixed replies, they take what they feel is relevant & use it. We cannot ban people from offering advice just because they are not role as yet, I have read some fabulous views/opinions/advice on this forum from non serving & awaiting post people. This country still has the right of free speech & that applies to everyone here. :slbg:
RAD 13/06. Pass result 14/06 :slyay: . Merit listed 20/06. Applied 2nd establishment 24/06, POST test passed 26/06. Conditional offer 11/07. Vetting starts 12/07. Passed vetting 30/10. Poelt 08/01 :slyay:

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:38 pm

:slag: :slcl:

At no point was I trying to patronising, I am giving my view (from experience and information that I myself got on my military familiarisation day) to the questions asked, have spent the last 24 years in a job where what we do and how we convey ourselves save lives. I'm not going to apologise for that.

Whether you agree or disagree with my comments is of no consequence to me. Im not here to make friends, I am here to get the truth about the job I am about to embark on.
It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity

Start of vetting to the call 17 weeks 2 days.

Huntsman22
Committee Member
Committee Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:23 pm

I agree with karens excellent post :slcl:

What a post this turned out to be! :slin:
‘But if you never try, you’ll never know’

Baldy1970
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:47 pm

Peppa wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:04 am
How patronising, I really hope I never work with anyone with that kind of attitude
Being an Officer is not right for everyone . The ones that survive, do so because they can deal with all the crap, that comes your way on a daily basis. You need a thick skin and rather than moaning and complaining about others, you have to focus on what is important. Some on this forum might be referring to the likes of me, when they say 'anyone with that kind of attitude'. Well, I joined the Prison Service before some on here were born! Because of my ‘attitude’ many would probably not want to get stuck in a lift with me, but most would want me watching their back on the landings! Don’t have a go at the likes of Sgt Bush and purplepig – they have been around a lot longer than most on his forum and probably will be for a lot longer after you have gone. Thank them for giving up their free time, to pass on their advice and if you don’t like it – fine… but that is your problem, not theirs!
I don't have money.
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career.
Skills that make me useful for people like you.

Karen47
Counsellor
Counsellor

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:00 pm

:slag:

And thank you SWM & Huntsman. I too get fed up with the negative replies given when posters offer a 'realistic' viewpoint of the job. In life you'll hear a ton of crap you don't want to hear, how you let it affect you is up to you. But I agree with most in that, if you are easily upset/insulted/put out/offended by something written by a someone you don't know (and never likely to meet) you might want to think about the role you are hoping to take on. Just some friendly advice :slcup:

And I will also add if people keep complaining when people give a non sugary/warts & all/ non Disney account of the job, they'll stop writing on here & I for one would miss that.
RAD 13/06. Pass result 14/06 :slyay: . Merit listed 20/06. Applied 2nd establishment 24/06, POST test passed 26/06. Conditional offer 11/07. Vetting starts 12/07. Passed vetting 30/10. Poelt 08/01 :slyay:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic