Risk of the job

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

bluinfernouk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Risk of the job

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:17 am

Not intending to offend anyone (with the need to be PC at all times) but personally if I want to know something, I want a 'real' response, not something to simply appease my concerns - which, if watered-down, are not going to help me (or anyone) deal with what lies ahead.

To be fair, maybe I think differently, having done my time in the forces, but 'real' knowledge is king in any arena. Although Id prefer not to find myself on the receiving end of any level of violence, Id be naive to think I wont, so unless I have eyes in the back of my head, it is inevitable that I will find myself in some difficult or even violent situation at some stage.

When that happens, Id like to believe that someone will have my back - as I would hope to have theirs when needed too.

Peppa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:27 am

We all want a real insight but from
Someone who knows and not just guessing

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:32 am

Well the response was pretty close and I didn't find it harsh...

If you want a real situation...

Prisoner dirty protesting in cell.
Cutting himself and rubbing faeces into the cuts to get infected. Also smearing faeces on the obs panel so we cant see in and when ordered to clean the panel he licks it clean.

These are real situations that new recruits need to know about.

So you see the response was not harsh in the cold light of day

bluinfernouk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:39 am

I definitely agree that we all want answers from people in the know, rather than guess-work.

BUT, in the current world we live in, where one can be incarcerated for simply hurting someones feelings and everything has to be so damned politically-correct so as not offend even the church-mouse living 3000 miles away in another country, there are many people that cant cope with the actual truth about anything - which often makes it difficult to get the 'real truth' from anyone anymore (and moreso online).

SgtBush (and some others) thanks for sharing it 'as it is'

Peppa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:48 am

🙄

bluinfernouk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:02 am

However, on the flip-side, I am known to be rather 'blunt' without intent at the best of times - so I have questioned my own desire to serve too, as I think sometimes I am going to find it hard to hold my mouth and always be PC when required - especially when confronted with abuse or violence... but itll be as much a learning curve for me in that regard as well.

Live and learn, as they say ;p

Peppa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:05 am

Blunt and direct is fine, we are all big boys and girls but patronising or suggesting someone should think about their career choice because they asked a question isn’t ok. That is my point and my only point

bluinfernouk
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:17 am

Fair enough, in the "asked a question" regard.
Last edited by bluinfernouk on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:20 am

No they should think of there career choice.
If you take offense at the mild situations that are put on forums compared to what actually happens on the wings, then maybe a re-think is warranted.

I have seen one recruit who went threw vetting and then poelt, which costs you, the tax payer around £40,000 to recruit, train and get ready for the 1st day on the wings quit on day 2 because it wasn't what she expected.

That 40 grand could of trained someone coming into the service with eyes wide open and someone prepared to do a lifetimes service

wikster73
Registered Member
Registered Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:22 am

I can understand Peppa's frustration.
All they have asked for is an insight into the job ( not said they are afraid ) - the problem is that too many people are answering who are not qualified as they are not serving officers yet .
There is nothing wrong with being enthusiastic , but it would make sense if only serving officers gave answers as this is who the question was aimed at .

Peppa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:28 am

SgtBush wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:20 am
No they should think of there career choice.
If you take offense at the mild situations that are put on forums compared to what actually happens on the wings, then maybe a re-think is warranted.

I have seen one recruit who went threw vetting and then poelt, which costs you, the tax payer around £40,000 to recruit, train and get ready for the 1st day on the wings quit on day 2 because it wasn't what she expected.

That 40 grand could of trained someone coming into the service with eyes wide open and someone prepared to do a lifetimes service
That is the prison service fault, they have cut familurition days so for the naive amongst us they see the wage and think it’s a doddle!! It’s all well and good passing role play and fitness tests but it’s useful to see first hand what the hell you are letting yourself in for!

Peppa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:30 am

wikster73 wrote:
All they have asked for is an insight into the job ( not said they are afraid ) - the problem is that too many people are answering who are not qualified as they are not serving officers yet .
There is nothing wrong with being enthusiastic , but it would make sense if only serving officers gave answers as this is who the question was aimed at .
Thanks someone finally got my point instead of railroading over me

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:34 am

That point was argued out with the forum owner and a lot of serving officers were not in agreement. We wanted warts and all so not to put rose tinted glasses on but owners wanted something different. Different to a point that its actually dangerous.
NTKB ( needtoknowbasis) left because of this. He was a serving officer with over 30 years experience. I know a lot about him and will not tell as it may reveal his identity but he has seen more officers come and go than I've had hot dinners.
I still speak to him.

In response to peppa.
Familiarization days are offered to every new recruit before poelt. We have around 6 or7 come round the jail every week.

What the problem is, and I can understand this, is people in the recruitment process get frustrated at the long wait and are egar to start and flood the forums with pish and nonsense.

Gravey957
Banned Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 am

wikster73 wrote:
If only serving officers gave answers this would be a sh1t forum !! Some might not be serving yet but have a vast amount of life experience !! I do agree that someone shouldn't be suggesting that people look at the career choice they have made serving or non serving !!

But there are some who's life experience that they have had to endure now make them less likely too sugar coat responses

Just by looking through other threads you can see that a lot of those in service or joining the service are forces veterans!

These people have had to witness shootings, bombings, being spat at by members of the public and ultimately seeing friends die in horrific circumstances so now call it how it is !!!
Falkor is a cunt

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:50 am

I'm not TELLING anyone what to do, I am merely suggesting that this may not be the job for them if they are worried about what other people have told them happens.

Kindly take yourself of your high horse and enjoy the rest of your day.
It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity

Start of vetting to the call 17 weeks 2 days.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic