Risk of the job

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Kenzo1

Risk of the job

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:19 pm

So I'm wanting to join the prison service but I've been told by current prisoners and past prisoners that it's bad for new officers and they get completely targetted. I've been told in the first week they've seen new officers get scolded and bucket of facies thrown over them. Now obviously this happens but does it happen as often as everyone makes out? And I'm also told that officers claim for it, if they do claim does management treat you differently for it?

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Risk of the job

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:09 am

It’s a risk that every officer faces not just new officers, it obviously doesn’t happen every day or to every new officer but if you are worried about it happening then maybe you need to reconsider your chosen career path because at some point in your career something will happen to you, it is inevitable.
It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity

Start of vetting to the call 17 weeks 2 days.

Peppa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:01 am

Sometimes your replies to varies threads comes across as really harsh, I thought the aim of a forum to to share concerns or ask questions and get supportive comments in return? Either I’m missing the point of these forums or you are 🙄

Kenzo1

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:49 am

100% agree people assume that i won't be able to handle being a prison officer because I'm concerned about risks, all I want to know is do you get compensated when something happens to you? I've read a lot about how management doesn't treat officers right anymore and theyre more concerned with how prisoners are treated.
It's seems that new officers seem to leave due to these risks pretty early and prison service always seems to be hiring, so the problem looks like prisoners aren't being deterred from doing things like this and it's a rising problem, i dont think anyone can say that this job might not be for me considering im preparing myself for these risks more than what other potential officers might be. another question is how do you think this is going to change after Brexit? Are prisons going to get better or worse?

Huntsman22
Committee Member
Committee Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:54 am

Peppa wrote:
Sometimes your replies to varies threads comes across as really harsh, I thought the aim of a forum to to share concerns or ask questions and get supportive comments in return? Either I’m missing the point of these forums or you are 🙄
I fail to understand your point here. The answer you were given is what I believe to be the correct one. I don’t believe you were given a harsh answer, it’s perhaps a harsh reality.
‘But if you never try, you’ll never know’

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:01 am

Peppa wrote:
Would you like me to sugar coat my replies? There was nothing harsh about that reply, it is the harsh reality of the job we are about to join, if stuff like this worries you or anyone else then they seriously need to rethink their career choice.
It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity

Start of vetting to the call 17 weeks 2 days.

Huntsman22
Committee Member
Committee Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:02 am

We’re not here to give ‘supportive replies’. We give replies. If they’re supportive then that’s a bonus for you

Peppa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:04 am

How patronising, I really hope I never work with anyone with that kind of attitude

Huntsman22
Committee Member
Committee Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:04 am

:slraz:

Gravey957
Banned Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:15 am

Peppa wrote:
What would be the point in sugar coating any answer !! The job we are all about to take up is very risky and it is inevitable that you will be assaulted your time in the job

The point of the forum is not to be pink and fluffy and give sugar coated answers it is to give answers which are true, correct and to the point !
Falkor is a cunt

Peppa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:19 am

See previous response

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:34 am

Peppa wrote:
There was nothing harsh with the reply.
I'm a serving prison officer and I would want you to know the ins and outs of the job warts and all and not a rose tinted version.
Its a tough job, you will be called every name you know and son you dont.
You will see prisoners cutting themselves with blades and bleeding all over the floor.
You will see fights start over the smallest of things.
You will see dirty protests.

You need a proper version of what the job entails otherwise you will walk off the job on your shadow week

worriedfather
Registered Member
Registered Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:49 am

Perhaps, as the vast majority on here are yet to become officers, an up to date insight of a typical day/week by a recently joined member would be a good read.

There are lots of opinions, thoughts and answers coming from people not yet started, whereas coming from a freshly appointed officer would offer a greater view of what's ahead for people.

My lads about to start his training and I've got Two pals who have recently retired with over 50yrs service between them, and another mate that was an OSG, I am quite aware of THEIR opinions but clearly the service has changed over the years and perhaps their view will be different to those just starting out.

Very good forum by the way, just a pity more serving officers don't contribute.

Regards.

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:04 am

Worridfather.

I'm newly-ish appointed and there is an up to date day in day out thread.
Its in prison officers diary's.

There are lots of serving officers that come here but of late a few were told off for not sugar coating reply's and also getting sick of answering the same questions over n over n over again , clogging up the forums when an alternative of using the search function would answer the question.

Just look under active topics now. The posts are all vetting connected or poelt start dates.
It clogs the forums up with unnecessary drivel.

Serving officers now lurk in the background and only pop up to answer a proper topic or question.

Peppa
Executive Member
Executive Member

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:11 am

My point isn’t to do with sugar coating, the original poster voiced a worry/question and wanted reassurance or answer.

Most intelligent people made a decision to become a prison officer knowing facts, it’s a sink or swim environment but what grates me is people giving opinions when they aren’t even serving! And it’s unnecessary to state maybe they should rethink the career choice it’s patronising

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic