Prison officers views regarding OSG

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

are OSGs worth having?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:37 am

yes they do an amazing job
27%
yes they free up Officers from very routine tasks
20%
yes they are and they deserve more respect
26%
yes they are and they already get a lot of respect
6%
yes but only because they're cheap labour, saves money
5%
yes
9%
no, we would be better off without OSGs
1%
no
No votes
pass
6%

Total votes: 81

Daniel

Re: Prison officers views regarding OSG

Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:49 am

I am currently an osg moving on to be an officer at another prison soon. I find as an osg walking into a job without training it is extremely tough. We may not have as much contact with prisoners but we provide Intel through censors and monitoring phone calls, intercepting packages through prop and mail, at our prison we soley control comms and do night shifts every 6 weeks. We have to deal with situations that we have had no training in with prisoners. Luckily I can manage but others really struggle. I think they all deserve a lot more respect and find that some officers look down on us. Instead of criticizing someone, help some one. I have seen some ridiculous complaints go in. Osg grade doesn't get a 10-12 training course and effectively passes the application process on competencies. I would be interested to hear back on other people's opinions on my post.

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member

Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:38 am

As has been said previously, this happens in all walks of life not just the prison service. I work within the NHS at the moment and you see it from the band 7s looking down on the band 5s as if they are stupid. They do the same job only one has more experience than the other and should know better.

Respect is a two way thing, and to earn it you must give it, at least that's how I work my way through life, sure some people are jobsworths and make your life difficult but at the end of the day, you dealing with that sort of person doesn't take up the whole of your day and you should deal with it and let it go.

OSGs have a different role to prison officers but without them then their life's would be more difficult, it doesn't take much to be polite to someone.
It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity

Start of vetting to the call 17 weeks 2 days.

Gravey957
Banned Member

Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:25 am

:slag: :slcl: :slcl: :slcl: :slcl: :slcl: :slcl: :slcl:
Falkor is a cunt

richard100121
Official Member
Official Member

Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:02 pm

nights roles have changed in my establishment. osg are now on the wings. Some officers go on the wings once they lock up. If the officers are on the wings they will find an office and then maybe give you a hour or two break. Even if they hear the Ecb keep going on they won't come out and help.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic