Prison officers views regarding OSG

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

are OSGs worth having?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:37 am

yes they do an amazing job
27%
yes they free up Officers from very routine tasks
20%
yes they are and they deserve more respect
26%
yes they are and they already get a lot of respect
6%
yes but only because they're cheap labour, saves money
5%
yes
9%
no, we would be better off without OSGs
1%
no
No votes
pass
6%

Total votes: 81

richard100121
Official Member
Official Member

Prison officers views regarding OSG

Post by richard100121 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:05 pm

I am very interested to find out how prison officers, CM and Governors view OSGs. In my establishment it is very mixed but most think we are at the bottom. If a job needs to be done don't worry we will use an OSG. Two examples I was going through a gate a cm saw and said it is only a OSG. A prison officer broke his key in a gate instead of the prison officer waiting there an OSG was assigned to wait, as the prison officer is obviously more important.

I guess when Staff arrive and see a lot of OSGs in the gate they think we just sit around all day. We are normally waiting for movements to start. We had roles taken off us, like the post room and security etc.

These jobs were taken off us by civilians. Our duties used to be done by officers. Is that why sometimes officers do not think we have any worth. Should OSGs show a dislike to civilians then.
Last edited by falkor on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: poll added

SWM5436
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Prison officers views regarding OSG

Post by SWM5436 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Haven't started yet as an officer but my view on what you have just said is that it is discrimination plain and simple for the CM to say that.

Kind of reminds me of when I was part of 5 Airborne Brigade, those of us that didn't have our wings were looked down on by the para trained guys.

As far as the key situation, keeping an officer there could mean one man short on the landing so may not have been possible for him to stay there.

Sounds like a very US and THEM prison you work for, hopefully not the one I have chosen to be part of.
It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity

Start of vetting to the call 17 weeks 2 days.

NeedToKnowBasis
Elite Member
Elite Member
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Hemlock'

Post by NeedToKnowBasis » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:37 pm

Here's a little reality for you... technically, as far as operational staff goes, OSG's are at the 'bottom' to use your phrase.

You do the jobs that someone on high has considered shouldn't/needn't be done by an officer, who is more highly trained, able to deploy more skills and gets paid more. That's just business sense. 20+ years ago, officers used to do most of the OSG jobs. OSG's (or Prison Auxilliarys as they were known then) just did wall patrols, yard patrols, night patrols and not much more.

Gates were staffed by officers. ECU/Control Room/Comms were staffed by officers... and all those officers were very senior and essentially winding down to retirement.

The CM's attitude was poor - but as for getting an OSG to watch the gate with a broken key in it, that's just sensible. What if having that officer missing for however long meant that the jail could not be unlocked? 5 minutes delay for 200 prisoners costs a total of 1000 minutes (16+ hours) of lost regime time that is impossible to claw back and could incur your jail a financial penalty. Losing an OSG for 5 minutes doesn't have this effect. The officer isn't more important... but he/she can be used in more ways, including pretty much any OSG role, an OSG can't be deployed in that way.

So, yes, in your terms, you're at the bottom of the ladder... or in my terms, you're the foundation of everything else that holds the jail up. Who cares what others think? Stop feeling sorry for yourself and get on with being the bedrock upon which your jail functions.

NTKB :slda:
Last edited by NeedToKnowBasis on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If you post on a public forum, asking for opinions, I may give mine - I don't care if you don't like what I post... I don't care what you think about me... it simply isn't important!

freak
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by freak » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:45 pm

srgbush comments on osg on another topic recently is spot on
I have witnessed some officers referring to them as less importance which is wrong as we all play an important part of making the establishment run
In a ideal situation I think it would be better if you had to be an osg before becoming an officer I know this would be impossible but would teach respect for that roll :slcu:
Y N W A

Lagertha
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Post by Lagertha » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:36 pm

My view - OSG seems to be a pretty important role supporting the foundations of the running of the prison. I know that a prison officer simply nipping off to the loo for a few minutes at the wrong time can cause problems because of Prison Officer:prisoner ratios. I think this was more the situation in your case - if the Prison Officer stands at the gate with the broken key - he's actually absent from his post which would have lead to issues on timing as well as putting his fellow Prison Officer's at safety risk, I wouldn't take it personally 💖
Applied 16/04/2017, passed RAD 16/05, submitted vetting 18/05, got the call 07/07, Contract received and role accepted 18/07, familiarisation visit 19/07, induction week 24/07, POELT Sunningdale 31/07, Newbold 31/07 night, thanks 'ss' :slcoo:

If you know you know
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by If you know you know » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:44 pm

Sounds similar in a way police and PCSO's function. When I used to act up as a skipper I would not have put a PC on scene duty if I had PCSO's around. It's not about being disrespectful it's about carefully deploying appropriate resources as necessary.

Being a small cog in the engine is vital as it won't function without all of them turning or one missing.

timeforchange
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by timeforchange » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:53 am

When I went for a tour we was told that everyone works as part of the same team and the team can't operate without each other, the OSGs are just as important as we are and nobody is above anybody else. We need them as much as they need us

andylamb
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by andylamb » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:29 am

It's all about that progression too, don't want to be an OSG anymore, apply to be an officer.
Don't want to be an officer anymore progress and work up to be a negotiator or tornado etc.
Don't want to be any of those,

Become a firefighter?
My Karma just ran over your dogma.
RAD - 10/02/2017 -
Application & Vetting & Appeal - 01/03/2017 >
Contract - 08/05/2018
POELT due to start - 31/06/2017

laticsash92
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by laticsash92 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:43 am

Get it in all jobs, police, military etc.
It happens, but its no doubt usually the younger lot as well who do look down on people more. As people have pointed out on here before, alot of the older Prison Officer's used to be osgs themselves at one point and know the other side, alot of young guns these days go straight for Prison Officer, me being the exception :slhehe: but ay way i see it is i want to try out all roles. Ill work higher up if i enjoy it and if i can progress to prison officer then higher etc.

Bottom of the chain so be it, again as pointed out the prison system runs with everyone be it civvies, osgs, prison officers etc.
Deep down you dont know, you may see it as them taking the mick but how do you know they dont actually appreciate it and the help when they are needed elsewhere.

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by SgtBush » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:17 pm

freak wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:45 pm
srgbush comments on osg on another topic recently is spot on
I have witnessed some officers referring to them as less importance which is wrong as we all play an important part of making the establishment run
In a ideal situation I think it would be better if you had to be an osg before becoming an officer I know this would be impossible but would teach respect for that roll :slcu:

i forgot i wrote this lol

SassySez
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by SassySez » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:24 am

OSGs do a fantastic job.. it's one of those you have to do it to appreciate it.

If you think Officers are better utilised sitting in a gate controlling who (including vehicles) comes in/leaves, walking a vehicle round, sorting the mail, searching visitors or sorting bags for the night team (just to name a few) rather than being in the wings where they are most needed then you have an odd sense of humour.

mbot
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by mbot » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:48 pm

:slag:

SassySez
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by SassySez » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:07 am

Also in our establishment they control the Comms room, which controls the jail and is the heart of the jail.

Each day in there is different but it can be a very challenging and stressful job.

At the end of the day, they are the ones that get that clear message across the radio net when you need urgent help.

Phantoms

Post by Phantoms » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:18 pm

At the end of the day the OSGs run the prison, the prison would come to a standstill with out them, as for the officers who run them down , wind your necks in, not so much the older experianced officers , but 20 year old somethings who are fresh out of poelt training, been an OSG for years, get it all the time, you can't tell me what to do I'm an officer your just an OSG, tell them straight, wind your neck in you little prat, there not better than you, as for highly trained, what a load of crap, got taken over from doing nights by a new officer , I explained about the ACCTS that were on the wing, yes the ACCTS that OSGs monitor through the night, the anwser I got what's an ACCT, my intention was to join as an OSG then go for officer, but the attitudes that a lot of these poelts have with OSG s will I think reflect on how they treat inmates, making it a more volatile place than it is now, so noway, at the end of the day everyone is a member of a very large team, if there's no teamwork then I'm afraid staff will carry on getting assaulted

mbot
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by mbot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:23 pm

:slag: yup can't argue with that, as a minor no one that is about to go on poelt this coming Monday, I have a lot of admiration and respect for the OSGs at my establishment, I see them as part of the team and with out them officers are royally fecked :slbli:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic