Social media policy

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

laticsash92
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Social media policy

Post by laticsash92 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:15 am

To be honest i think the thought of prisoners finding out who you are is very uncommon and more of a myth. Unless you are in NI which in that case it has been a thing.
My dad used to work in woodhill cat a as mental health nurse, he was fine still walking around town and the fact we lived next door to the prison, he did refuse to go in a pub once mind as was full of ex prisoners , alot from woodhill but it is very rare. I wouldnt put my life on hold, i would of course be careful who i add etc but it is very uncommon

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andy888 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:23 am

Yep, in basic terms, dont state your job, check your contacts\friends list, don't have your mug shot as your profile pic and have maximum security settings on everything.

timeforchange
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by timeforchange » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:21 am

I've decided to deactivate my Facebook account, I'm from quite a rough area and wouldn't be surprised if I come across plenty of people who live local at my establishment. I want to reduce the information that's out there about me and with me starting this job it just seemed the right time to wave goodbye to it.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Post by falkor » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:51 am

You soon get used to living without it, I came off FB last year for 4 months, 99% of your FB friends won't even be aware you're gone :slbli:

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andy888 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:29 am

I won't come off the likes of Facebook, but on the other hand I've certainly downgraded the amount of attention I've given such social media accounts all the same and tightened up the security settings. One big tip I'd give beyond maximum security settings if they intend keeping such accounts is to first change your profile picture to something other than your photo, and unless you have a fairly common name, think about changing your name on your account. And goes without saying never add any friends requests from people you don't personally know after you start the job.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:35 am

I like those tips Andy :slhe: all good, well said
changing your name on your account
Can do, but keep it to a recognisable "name" something that looks plausible as a name of someone (otherwise your FB account could be suspended!) John Smith, Fred Jones good, Skeletor the Brave from Planet Jupiter - you'll get into trouble :slhehe:

Be aware you could be asked to confirm your name on FB

SgtBush
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by SgtBush » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:39 am

Damn you all!! You've found out my Facebook name...

From skeletor the brave

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:38 pm

oooops :slsh: that's why I added from Planet Jupiter - but it obviously didn't work :slbli:

BigDave
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BigDave » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:15 pm

Be careful troops. We had a new starter at our place, a pretty young lady. Within a week she had a facebook friends request from one of the cons!! His profile picture even had his pad in the background :slnuts:
I can't go into any more detail, but please please be careful. Put your security/privacy settings on full, change your name, change your profile picture. Please don't make it easy for these scumbags to stalk yo ass :slda:
Saying that, I'm a good looking guy, and I never get stalked :slcu:

Rocky1967
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Post by Rocky1967 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:51 pm

Myself , I just deleted everything I can , especially pictures of my family and kids . I told all my close friends the reason why , so they don't think i don't want to know them :slbg: Seriously I think i can do without FB . Security settings are good like Andy said , but at the end of the day it's a small world and i wouldn't want to risk any harm coming to my family . Don't get me wrong I am proud that I'm going to be a Prison Officer, but for some people it's best not to know that .Evil never sleeps :slda:

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andy888 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:06 am

BigDave wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:15 pm
Be careful troops. We had a new starter at our place, a pretty young lady. Within a week she had a facebook friends request from one of the cons!! His profile picture even had his pad in the background :slnuts:
I can't go into any more detail, but please please be careful. Put your security/privacy settings on full, change your name, change your profile picture. Please don't make it easy for these scumbags to stalk yo ass :slda:
Saying that, I'm a good looking guy, and I never get stalked :slcu:
Can't say I'm keen on the idea of prisoners being allowed to have access to social media at all let alone Facebook accounts. Surprised there are not filters on HMP computers for prisoners to block access to social media websites all together!.

But I'm fine, very generic profile name and no actual photo for profile pic either. Added to that I'm not adding any new friends requests after I start my induction week unless I personally know the people in question.

Thepower
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Thepower » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:13 am

Prisoners have access to social media regardless of them not been able to our prisons are awash with phones...

Be sensible on there keep a low profile, no pics in uniform,As private as you can be, use a full name, don't give prisoners any personal information or anything for them to associate with your life.

Quickthinker
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Post by Quickthinker » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:45 am

You dont get time to be on facebook. Your not aloud a phone therefore if your working you only get hour for lunch then home time. Then on your days off your that busy you forget to check as your not used to having your phone on you ;) best thing I did was get rid of facebook I havent even been anywhere near it since may I love it. Youll realise that time is important and that when your not at work theres other things to do.
I went from using 20gb of data a month to not even using 1gb n thats in a month reduced my phone bill by 80£ aswell :)

NeedToKnowBasis
Elite Member
Elite Member
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Hemlock'

Post by NeedToKnowBasis » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:48 am

Andy, the fact the you think we 'allow' prisoners access to social media makes me PMSL. :slgy:

They access it from illegal smartphones, smuggled into the jail. We don't 'allow' it!

NTKB :slda:
If you post on a public forum, asking for opinions, I may give mine - I don't care if you don't like what I post... I don't care what you think about me... it simply isn't important!

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Andy888 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:56 am

Yep, in looking back was a bit of a silly thought NTKB, but then again just before I went to sleep being tired lol. But it does make you think, if prisoners are identified as having access to and using social media whilst in prison then surely they are opening themselves up to regular cell searches or sanctions?.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic