Social media policy

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

memphis
Official Member
Official Member

Re: Social media policy

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:17 pm

If you have any concerns about personal photos getting into the wrong hands then do something about it NOW! Back them up to your own PC and delete them off your social media account. You could then even close your social media account down and open a new one for the uses you have stated.
Be pro-active, not re-active.
M :slcoo:

Unknown
Registered Member
Registered Member

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:00 pm

The less info there is about you in the public domain the better especially in a civil service job

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Very interesting topic this and certainly food for thought. When I started my current job, somewhat sensitive in nature, I decided due to matters and connections on my old Facebook account (nothing illegal) etc to create a new Facebook account as it was useful to do so for work purposes at the time. But whilst I could start to clean out both accounts now and tighten security settings on the mindset I'd pass the RAD. It does make you think how much of the checks and vetting process involves hunting and looking for people of social media etc?. As in all seriousness if the checks and vetting pulls up all sorts of info on social media accounts on applicants with little efforts then a determined con and or their "associates" or family could do the same and then leave a potential security risk for both the prison officer and prison etc. So it kind of makes me think if info gained from social media, the level of info and social media interests makes up any real part of the final decision to either employ or reject?.

I'd never delete my social media accounts, but I'd certainly clean them up and tighten security settings.

NeedToKnowBasis
Elite Member
Elite Member
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Hemlock'

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:08 pm

It makes up no part of the decision to employ or reject. It isn't something that's looked in to - nobody has said it is.

However, it is still a very easy way to compromise yourself, get into something you can't get out of, lose your job etc. etc. Especially as many people nowadays seem to live every aspect of their private lives through social media...

NTKB :slda:
If you post on a public forum, asking for opinions, I may give mine - I don't care if you don't like what I post... I don't care what you think about me... it simply isn't important!

PeaGreen
Executive Member
Executive Member

Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:21 pm

My previous job was internet based, so I often had people attempt to find my social media accounts, mine are either locked up tight or don't state my whereabouts or anything about family members.
As a general you need to be safe about how open you are on any form of internet site, although no one knew my full name or even where I lived other than 'England', someone managed to find my full name and address just through my ip.

My route to decide whether or not it could be used against me is whether or not my nan would like it. Taking drugs and posting about it on social media, showing yourself as drunk more often than not, posting racist or homophobic jokes. Once it is online, it's there forever!
Fear cuts deeper than swords

Hotness
Rookie Member

Fri May 12, 2017 1:49 am

They don't check your Facebook for gods sake unless your posting crap about anything that goes on inside them walls or anyone in them consider yourself sacked but before I'm starting in a prison I've been a model and still am from underwear, swimwear, to fashion and the last year I've only worked for government campaigns Like anti bullying and domestic violence I had a picture taken in a jail cell it was in no clothes but cleverly covered the officers I interviewed with commended all that, so dont be worried about social media, the crap I have on mine like I said just don't post anything about inside or anybody else and just put your a civil servent and nothing wrong with being in your uniform, we work in a prison not secret services enjoy ya life still :sllv: xxx

TheCat
Executive Member
Executive Member

Fri May 12, 2017 4:55 am

Sorry but you are wrong. Once you start your training you will be told over and over about not putting anything on social media about your job and especially any pictures of you in your uniform. Infact I know of at least one person who got disciplinary action against them for posting uniform pictures. Also be very careful about group chats. If something untoward is said (even in jest) that one person finds offensive, you will get sent home from POELT for not reporting it even if you didn't write it.

Pip81
Banned Member

Fri May 12, 2017 5:59 am

Social media policy is getting tight in any job now. I work very much in the public eye with what I do. I was getting lots and lots of friend requests from 'clients' which I refused every single time. Then some old colleague from another job who I was friends with reported me to my current employer because of a post that was months old (calling someone a tw#t) I got a swift rasp across the knuckles and told in no uncertain terms that my use of social media could be taken to bring my employer into disrepute as per the companies social media policy. I immediately deleted around 150-200 friends from Facebook and eventually deleted it. Having a job to pay bills and make the days pass by is far more important than dodgy stag night pics and the odd inappropriate like on a photo from 10 years ago. Social media is just simply not worth 1. Losing your job over and 2. Putting the security and safety of your family at risk (they aren't in order by the way).

Lagertha
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Fri May 12, 2017 6:53 am

I've already changed my name and zipped up my profile on fb. I only had a twitter account for business in the business name. I've just started using instagram with a nickname a few months ago - only to spy on daughter lol! Only one family pic on there, no posts. I like many only really have family and long distance friends on fb. I've never posted anything I think could cause offence.
Noted from every comment on this thread I'll never disclose where I work, am about to remove my location - might make it another country 😂
One concern. Should we not be using Facebook messenger?

Tia
Last edited by Lagertha on Fri May 12, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Applied 16/04/2017, passed RAD 16/05, submitted vetting 18/05, got the call 07/07, Contract received and role accepted 18/07, familiarisation visit 19/07, induction week 24/07, POELT Sunningdale 31/07, Newbold 31/07 night, thanks 'ss' :slcoo:

NeedToKnowBasis
Elite Member
Elite Member
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Hemlock'

Fri May 12, 2017 7:49 am

Hotness wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 1:49 am
They don't check your Facebook for gods sake unless your posting crap about anything that goes on inside them walls or anyone in them consider yourself sacked but before I'm starting in a prison I've been a model and still am from underwear, swimwear, to fashion and the last year I've only worked for government campaigns Like anti bullying and domestic violence I had a picture taken in a jail cell it was in no clothes but cleverly covered the officers I interviewed with commended all that, so dont be worried about social media, the crap I have on mine like I said just don't post anything about inside or anybody else and just put your a civil servent and nothing wrong with being in your uniform, we work in a prison not secret services enjoy ya life still :sllv: xxx
Worst... advice... ever... :slno:

NTKB :slda:
If you post on a public forum, asking for opinions, I may give mine - I don't care if you don't like what I post... I don't care what you think about me... it simply isn't important!

Lagertha
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Fri May 12, 2017 9:02 am

I was a little shocked at that advice too 😂🙈🙈
Applied 16/04/2017, passed RAD 16/05, submitted vetting 18/05, got the call 07/07, Contract received and role accepted 18/07, familiarisation visit 19/07, induction week 24/07, POELT Sunningdale 31/07, Newbold 31/07 night, thanks 'ss' :slcoo:

Thinkdeep
Executive Member
Executive Member

Fri May 12, 2017 9:05 am

:slbx:

laticsash92
Committee Member
Committee Member

Fri May 12, 2017 9:11 am

Of course they will look at your social media. If you are aleady working for them you are working for the civil service not some local shop on the highstreet.

Baring in mind and ill make people aware that it doesnt matter how much your profile is on private or if you've deleted things, if they do checks on your social media during vetting they will find what ever. As a teen i posted loads of stuff on facebook which lets face it at the time i found funny but people in jobs like this wont as it is just locker room humour.
However when i applied for the police, during vetting i got rejected for one reason or another. One of the reasons was due to social media and said posts i used to post. They could check right back to the start of when i joined Facebook and even knew if i had deleted statues etc. That was just the police, so if the police can look that far back then im sure people who do vetting for the government can as well.

So just have the mindset that nothing you post is secret.

Rocky1967
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member

Fri May 12, 2017 10:39 am

I unfriended everyone , told them a reason and DIACTIVATED the account. I don't need a prisoner holding a grudge because I searched his cell and finding all my information about me , my family and friends . All they need to know is my surname.

Andy888
Elite Member
Elite Member

Fri May 12, 2017 11:11 am

I don't think that there is an official line on having social media accounts from what I can see or to dissuade us from having them at all. It's probably just a case of being careful on how you use it, privacy settings and what information about yourself and your work you post about. Photos seems to be the biggest threat against being found on facebook. So of cause I'll be making sure my profile pic isn't a pic of me for extra security purposes. Thankfully I've a pretty common name, so even a determined person would have great difficulty finding me in the countless accounts of the same nane. Of cause, if I get the call I'll not be adding anyone new on Facebook at all unless I know them personally. But ironic how NOMS has an open Facebook page people posts on though eh when we are expected to be as careful as we can!.

When or if I get the call I'm not even going to state what job I've got, and will tell those close family members who will know not to mention it either. Will even start to filter out friends from my current job to unless I know them well enough to want to keep them on my list!.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic