Social media policy

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

jack1116
Executive Member
Executive Member

Social media policy

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:21 pm

Hello guys

I have finally had my start date. Wahoo, i have been on the forum some time now and a topic i feel should be discussed on a more up to date feed is social Media, Facebook twitter ect.

My question is i have been on facebook and twitter for around 8 years now so at the beginning of my time on facebook i was very different to the person i am today ie posts i would put up things i would like and share ,tweets the same.

from prison officer experience whats the stance on social media from the inside? is it widley used ? any tips ? i do wish to stay online however i have thought about deleting my current facebook and changing my name slightly from my real name for example first and surname change or spelt differently .

From experience can cons use this to gain leverage on you find out about you ect? i cant imagine the prison service will trawl through posts from years ago as i should imagine its a fresh start approach however whats stopping cons trying to find you and using old posts as leverage.

Any advice or common practice would be greatly appreciated

kiloren
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Jasper'

Re: Social media policy

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:25 pm

Iv just changed my privacy settings so only friends can see my profile and pictures

When u look at my profile just see name profile and cover photo.

And I am also not in my profile picture anymore
"I know what I must do. I don't know if I'm strong enough to do it. Will you help me?"

jack1116
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:40 pm

fair enough buddy never thought about the profile picture its more old posts im worries about ie locker room humor ect

kiloren
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Jasper'

Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:01 pm

Yea know what u mean

See what someone else says but I say u be ok just don't post anything once in role that's not appropriate

And I'm not going say where I work either on profile just say Civil service
"I know what I must do. I don't know if I'm strong enough to do it. Will you help me?"

manc-apollo
Navigator
Navigator
Class: 'Chaos Warrior'

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:10 pm

Id look through my own feed and delete the locker room humour that could offend! Change your privacy settings! Me personally i deleted all accounts! One fella on our course got round the privacy settings on most of the classes accounts and told the girls some of there personal details. The cons do look you up on facebook dont be under any illutions they dont.

jack1116
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:38 pm

yeah my privacy settings are water tight ive had a good friend clear out un liked all the locker room humor pages and amended my name so unless you search by my fake name you wont find me i think i have done more than enough but you can never be to sure and wanted some advice from guys on the inside so thanks guys

Gsxrboy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:00 pm

I've changed all my Facebook in advance I was debating deleting it but why should we? why do so many people go quiet or leave here when they start poelt

AngelFx
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Holy Avenger'
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:13 pm

By what I gather purely cos they're so busy and so knackered off it. When they're not working they're doing homework it sounds pretty full on.
If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you! :slda:

Gsxrboy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:17 pm

kinda scary as I've never been a class room sort of guy!

Baldy1970
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:24 pm

This is a really important issue! It can easily cost you your job! Be very careful about what you do and say. Old stuff can still be used again you - don't give people the opportunity to use it!
I don't have money.
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career.
Skills that make me useful for people like you.

Thepower
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:00 pm

Just make sure your private settings are on the highest,

Don't put anything like works at HMP where ever

Be careful about what staff you accept on there, never discuss the days work you undertake

GoonerMase
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:42 pm

I'll be honest I've been wondering about online security and awareness. I have been on twitter, Facebook etc for 8-10 years, tonnes of pics and everything on there that I would like to keep hold of as really they are the only place they are stored. I have all set to completely private but as Ive studied computer programming an networking in the past I know these are pretty easy to get around for somebody who knows their stuff. Obviously most people say just delete the accounts but my Facebook has family on from around the world, my twitter has friends from around the country who i only keep in touch with through this.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Shade'

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:29 pm

while I was job hunting from June last year to September, I "deactivated my Facebook account" for that entire 4 months job hunting
You can deactivate your FB account temporarily and choose to come back whenever you want.

To deactivate your account:

Tap and scroll down
Tap Account Settings > Security
Tap Deactivate in the bottom right
If you deactivate your account, your profile won’t be visible to other people on Facebook and people won’t be able to search for you. Some information, such as messages you sent to friends, may still be visible to others.

If you’d like to come back to Facebook anytime after you’ve deactivated your account, you can reactivate your account by logging in with your email and password. Your profile will be restored in its entirety (ex: friends, photos and interests). Remember, you'll need to have access to the login email address or phone number for your account in order to reactivate it.
because I didn't want my prospective new employers looking me up on FB, it is a good half way measure because while the months go by, all your Facebook stuff that you accrued etc for 8-10 years, tonnes of pics and everything on there that you would like to keep hold of as really they are the only place they are stored ARE SAFE AND SOUND (but locked down)

As soon as I got my next job ..... I waited a couple of weeks more, then reactivated the FB A/C! SWEET, worked like a charm and none of the 45 interviews I went to for a new job could say "We looked up your Facebook A/c" I was more than happy

NeedToKnowBasis
Elite Member
Elite Member
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Hemlock'

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:51 am

I don't have any social media accounts at all... because of job I do... (and because I'm unsociable!). :slraz:

My true identity is only known by a very select few on here (less than 5 people)... because of the job I do.

Social media can be used to trap you in to corrupt activity. People forget that what they type on social media can be accessed by pretty much anyone. You set your privacy settings but then type something about work or something else that you didn't really think through... someone else then re-tweets it etc. and now it's out in public domain and out of your control.

You go to do your training for this job... you forget what you now do for a living and post lots of pics of you in uniform because you look sooooooo smart. Then you add your trainer as a 'friend'... then you're being called into the office... then you're being sent back from training for your establishment to deal with as they see fit... been done many times before!

Social media is fine as long as you're always on your guard. However, I'll bet many of you have hundreds of 'friends' on your accounts. I'll also bet that you don't actually know many of them! Slim down your friends group to those you know are absolutely trust-worthy and NEVER post anything about work.

Even if you think your boss is a d!ck, or you type LOL at someone else's slightly racist joke, or deep in your past there's the odd dodgy selfie, don't put it out there for the world to see. In our job, people have been conditioned by prisoners via social media. People have been sacked and jailed because of social media.

Be sensible.

NTKB :slda:
If you post on a public forum, asking for opinions, I may give mine - I don't care if you don't like what I post... I don't care what you think about me... it simply isn't important!

GoonerMase
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Lightning'

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:17 am

I have very few friends on Facebook and plan to cut it even further, my twitter is used mainly to keep in contact with followers of the same football club as I don't live in the city of the team I support. I rarely post anything that could even be considered taboo, but know I would have to pull back even further. Questioning to delete my twitter and start clean under a false "character" for footballing use. My problem is I have it a lot of pictures of my family stored on them which I wouldn't really want getting into the wrong hands or used as leverage by anybody. Got a few weeks before I start and plan on sorting all social media out properly even if it means just deleting them for peace of mind.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic