New Starters pay

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

thekeeperofcrows
Official Member
Official Member

New Starters pay

Post by thekeeperofcrows » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:43 am

Not sure if in the right place, but on my soapbox, so please feel free to move this to the right place.

I have seen that POELT's are to start on pay point 3 as of 1st april 2015 (around 23k), this is all well and good as it might bring in a better type who has in the past been put off by the lower wage.

However I and a few of my fellow officers I know are already on pay point 3 (as of 1st april) and are rather miffed ( being polite) that POELT's right out of the wrapper are going to be on the same wage,when we have few years experience under our belt and worked to get to that point, oh lets not mention the 4K extra "bonus" per year for the next 2 years (which may stop after or increase/decrease) they will be getting, making us on less money than the new starts.

How is this fair ? cant keep staff, then they go and think up this amazing idea, and wonder why there is more anger in the ranks.

Feel free to discuss and offer advice, as yet again I feel like I have been shafted without any lube. :slvo:

Boroboy1980
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: New Starters pay

Post by Boroboy1980 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:14 pm

Is that a London wage? I'm a new POELT (still with a bit of wrapper left on) and I start on £20,500 based on a standard hours week.

That's £2,500 shy of what you wrote and I know nothing of any bonus or what the increment jumps are.
needed to exercise so took up schwimming

Dukes
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Dukes » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:18 pm

I aren't on 23k either, maybe it's the area? Not too sure.

thekeeperofcrows
Official Member
Official Member

Post by thekeeperofcrows » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:58 pm

Its not london, got my feelers out to see if this is being done at other nicks as well. Watch this space

juniper1426
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by juniper1426 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:04 pm

I certainly don't get that much money. I know some are paid a retention bonus, but again I have not been told I will get it.

thekeeperofcrows
Official Member
Official Member

Post by thekeeperofcrows » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:49 pm

Okay, its taken me a while to hunt it down, but here is the gen, this is off a current recruitment offer online now

Starting Salary

£22,004 based on a 37 hour week (inc 17% unsocial)

£23,224 based on a 37 hour (inc 17% unsocial) with an additional 2 committed hours.

Depending on your annual performance, affordability, public sector pay policy and the recommendations from the Prison Service pay review body, your inclusive pay may increase incrementally up to the following maximum of over time:

£22,892 based on a 37 hour week (inc 17% unsocial)

£24,161 based on a 37 hour week (inc 17% unsocial) with an additional 2 committed hours

Where available, you may also be able to volunteer to work further additional hours at a premium rate.

Market Force Supplement

In addition, a market force supplement of £4,000 per annum is also available to external recruits (i.e. those not currently employed by the Civil Service) joining at this location. This payment will be made in 12 monthly instalments. This allowance will be paid for a period of two years. It will then be reviewed in accordance with business needs and may continue, removed or be paid at a new value.

Salary rates below will only apply to:

· Sheppey Cluster (Elmley, Swaleside and Stanford Hill)

· The Mount

· Huntercombe

· Aylesbury

· Bullingdon

· Grendon

· Highpoint

· Woodhill

Payslip today and I dont get the bonus, new starts on more than me ( that includes those on POELT courses now), might as well chuck my keys, get another job whilst waiting to reapply thus getting more money, or not even bother coming back to the job.

purplepig20
Counsellor
Counsellor

Post by purplepig20 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:34 pm

£4000 PER YEAR????! :slsh2: :slsh2: :slsh2:
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur!

thekeeperofcrows
Official Member
Official Member

Post by thekeeperofcrows » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:50 pm

Little bit of an incentive isnt ? I know it can go in 2 years time, but that is not the point, angry that new starters are getting more than myself, for my mate who is only on just over £18k well they are on £9k more than him, can understand why he is more hacked off with it than myself.

Goes to show once again the service knows how to upset it's staff and F&S is bollocks :slRA2: :slRA2:

Boroboy1980
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Boroboy1980 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:24 pm

I started in August and signed a contract for £20,500 pa.

Nothing was said about any incentive bonus.

My first full pay I took just over £1,500 but I assumed it was because Id paid more tax previously in the year whilst self employed.

I expect to receive around £1,300 next time.
needed to exercise so took up schwimming

mattzo027
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Sacred: 'Vulcan'

Post by mattzo027 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:13 pm

thekeeperofcrows wrote:Okay, its taken me a while to hunt it down, but here is the gen, this is off a current recruitment offer online now

Starting Salary

£22,004 based on a 37 hour week (inc 17% unsocial)

£23,224 based on a 37 hour (inc 17% unsocial) with an additional 2 committed hours.

Depending on your annual performance, affordability, public sector pay policy and the recommendations from the Prison Service pay review body, your inclusive pay may increase incrementally up to the following maximum of over time:

£22,892 based on a 37 hour week (inc 17% unsocial)

£24,161 based on a 37 hour week (inc 17% unsocial) with an additional 2 committed hours

Where available, you may also be able to volunteer to work further additional hours at a premium rate.

Market Force Supplement

In addition, a market force supplement of £4,000 per annum is also available to external recruits (i.e. those not currently employed by the Civil Service) joining at this location. This payment will be made in 12 monthly instalments. This allowance will be paid for a period of two years. It will then be reviewed in accordance with business needs and may continue, removed or be paid at a new value.

Salary rates below will only apply to:

· Sheppey Cluster (Elmley, Swaleside and Stanford Hill)

· The Mount

· Huntercombe

· Aylesbury

· Bullingdon

· Grendon

· Highpoint

· Woodhill

Payslip today and I dont get the bonus, new starts on more than me ( that includes those on POELT courses now), might as well chuck my keys, get another job whilst waiting to reapply thus getting more money, or not even bother coming back to the job.
Our governer did a briefing about this and has assured us that all staff and civilian staff wages will be brought in line with these rises.

These rising are in effect and will be backdated to April however they are unsure quite when the first pay rise will be received.
Nothing is impossible, just try, try and try again eventually the odds are you will succeed.

Si_leeds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Si_leeds » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:49 am

Boroboy1980 wrote:I started in August and signed a contract for £20,500 pa.

Nothing was said about any incentive bonus.

My first full pay I took just over £1,500 but I assumed it was because Id paid more tax previously in the year whilst self employed.

I expect to receive around £1,300 next time.
If your on the 20.5k salary and have a normal tax code of 1050l the take home is around 1350 from what iv worked out. That's with a 6 percent pension deduction

thekeeperofcrows
Official Member
Official Member

Post by thekeeperofcrows » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:51 am

Well, we were told that, not inthis months payalip, "somehow" the paperwork was not sent off in time, wonder what excuse they will use end of October

Psedggge
Rookie Member

Post by Psedggge » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:58 am

Hi there I have just booked my first assessment day for 20th Jan in Manchester. I am really exited about it all. And fingers crossed. But someone told me that the pay for a new starter is very low. I was just wondering if you could help me with this please.

Many thanks

Redruth1234
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Redruth1234 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:07 am

37.5 hours 1400 after pension take home. That's from day 1.

CrazyParsnip
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CrazyParsnip » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Isn't that for the 'hard to recruit' jail's?? I know my salary was advertised as £27k and I would be pretty annoyed if after I start I find out its some thing different.

But surely under some EU law if you're doing the same job in the same place you should be paid the same??

Ask the poa there.
Applied - 30/5, Fam' Day - 20/6, RAD - 21/6, Results - 22/6, Re-sit - 7/7, Results - 18/7, Conditional offer - 25/7, Vetting, The Call - 27/11, Newbold 12/2/18

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic