WHERE DOES MY SHIFT START????

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

MOON FACE

WHERE DOES MY SHIFT START????

Post by MOON FACE » Fri May 06, 2011 5:31 pm

CAN ANYONE CONFIRM WHERE IT STATES IN WRITTING THAT MY SHIFT STARTS AND ENDS AT THE GATE?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
MOON FACE

Ping
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: WHERE DOES MY SHIFT START????

Post by Ping » Fri May 06, 2011 7:02 pm

MOON FACE wrote:CAN ANYONE CONFIRM WHERE IT STATES IN WRITTING THAT MY SHIFT STARTS AND ENDS AT THE GATE?
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
MOON FACE
In light of there being no official answer to your query just yet. I will, if you don't mind, give you my unofficial opinion. That is, if you have your keys then you're on duty because you should be in the jail. If you're not in the jail and you have your keys, you may be sacked. If you don't have your keys and you're out of the jail, then you're off duty. The start and finish times are on your shift timetable. But we always usually have someone harassing us to wait until the bell rings.

Knew a guy that broke his pelvis in the jail at 0725, shift started at 0730, so they fobbed him off as not being on duty. You have to be given a written order to be held back officially as far as I'm aware. But best to see your POA rep for a decisive answer. That could well be me. But not on here it's not.

Anyway, it can't be me cos I don't know the answer. Does that make perfect sense to you now?
Keep calm and carry on.

Madra Rhu
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by Madra Rhu » Fri May 06, 2011 9:47 pm

According to POA NEC, the gate! they claim this has been won in court. I am not sure of the case but I believe it may have been Bristol, but that needs verifying.
When you think about it you are employed by the Prison Service to work anywhere in the establishment they have sent you to. So, although your normal place may be eg: A wing, you could turn in for duty and find a note on your keys stating Z wing, as far from the gate as you can get. You are not employed by A wing HMP Anyplace or Z wing HMP Nonsuch. You are employed by the Prison Service to work at HMP Postedyouto. So as far as I was concerned that meant my shift started at the gate and ended at the gate. And custom and practice over the years with the detail published at the gate, established the gate as the start and finish point for being on or off duty.

I reiterate, this fact, the POA NEC claim has been won in an employment tribunal. But as usual they don't communicate these kind of details well.
Always remember; the law and justice; never the twain shall meet. They are seperate and have nothing in common with each other. Bit like being married!!

Regards

Madra Rhu

Cynical
Executive Member
Executive Member
Class: 'Crimson Warrior'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Drow'

Post by Cynical » Sun May 08, 2011 3:27 pm

Last discussed 2009, thanks to RDP.

Re: Start time at the gate.
by RDP on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:29 pm

POA Circular 23 of 2009 refers, scroll down to the 2nd and 3rd page, or contact the POA at HMP Bristol.

Link for the lazy lol....
http://www.poauk.org.uk/documents/membe ... 3-2009.pdf

RDP
Registered Member

Member No: 1863
Star Awards:
Style: prosilver
Class: 'Daywalker'
Sacred: 'Priest'
I have a copy of this somewhere, i'll dig it out although it is in a poa circular.
Cynicism is an unpleasant way of telling the truth.

ZzoL
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ZzoL » Wed May 25, 2011 11:31 pm

when we did work to rule, your only had to be at the gate by 7:30, not your place of work.

Wizza
Committee Member
Committee Member
S Class: Systems

Post by Wizza » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:30 pm

It is, as stated, at the gate. We arrive at the gate at our start time - and then they give us 15 minutes to get our keys, batons, knives and to our place of work.

Same on the out, if its a 17:15 finish, we leave the wing at 17:00

Matrix 2

Post by Matrix 2 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:51 pm

You won't get any managers or Governors arguing with the gate as your start time - has been accepted for a long tiome now; even if not a solid, written agreement.

Easylife
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by Easylife » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:10 pm

Matrix 2 wrote:You won't get any managers or Governors arguing with the gate as your start time - has been accepted for a long tiome now; even if not a solid, written agreement.
Spelling's a bit off there Dazz . Alcohol does that .
A kite rises higher against the wind,then with it.

M2

Post by M2 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:35 pm

'Clachan a choin' to you too.

freshstart?

Post by freshstart? » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:03 pm

Always has been at the gate and there should be sufficient time to get to your wing to unlock.i.e. the unlock time should not be the same as your start time.To my knowledge that's been the case since at least 1975.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic