newcomer

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

crow

newcomer

Post by crow » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:57 pm

Hi Everyone!
I am taking my JSAC next week.
I am preparing myself and getting more confident, however, here are the following concerns I still have:
- what is the dress code during RAD?
- would a Firefighter who has known me for four years could be a suitable countersignatory?
- I resigned from my previous job due to bias and double standards being practised, and also lack of competence and professionalism, how can, if at all, explain that during interview? at some point I even considered a contractual dismissal. What about references?
- what are role play scenarios? examples, please?

Thank you very much for help and good luck to Others,

Kris

Burnlee
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Holy Avenger'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: newcomer

Post by Burnlee » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:17 am

Firstly welcome to the site and enjoy the abundance of advice and information on here.
Enjoy your RAD, although I haven't done a RAD, just the POST and JSAC, I turned up in shirt, tie and trousers. It is good to make a suitable impression.
I am not too sure about the Firefighter countersignatory status to be honest. Do you not get a list of acceptable professions to chose from, ie Professionl Photographer, Teacher, Solicitor, someone in Engineering and so on and so forth.

It would also be unwise to inform you of the Role Play scenarious thet are used within the assessment,as it gives you either an advantage or possibly dis-advantage on this. It is better to go into them without any pre-conceptions or knowledge of the role play and therefore as a result you can deal with the situation normally. You will know that each role play will focus upon one of the desires the service will expect you to protray with respect, diversity, discrimination etc.

Good luck

Miquay
Elite Legion
Elite Legion
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Thunder'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Miquay » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:07 am

Hi Crow,
Welcome to this most humblest of abodes.
As Burns said - dress smart. I didn't but wished I had. I had jeans and a top (if you watch the JSAC video on HMPS site it shows everybody dressed down) but looking back would have preferred to suit up.

2003 list of countersignatories. Latest I could find - can't see it changing much.
Accountant
Member of Parliament
Articled Clerk of a Limited Company
Merchant Navy Officer
Bank/Building Society Official
Minister of a recognised religion
Barrister
Nurse (SRN and SEN)
Chairman/Director of Limited Company
Officer of the armed services (Active or Retired)
Chemist
Optician
Commissioner of Oaths
Person with Honours (e.g. OBE, MBE etc)
Councillor: Local or County
President/Secretary of a recognised organisation
Civil Servant
Salvation Army Officer
Dentist
Social Worker
Fire Service Officer
Solicitor
Justice of the Peace
Teacher/Lecturer
Legal Secretary (members and fellows of the Institute of legal secretaries)
Trade Union Officer
Local Government Officer
Valuers and auctioneers (fellow and associate member of the incorporated society)
Manager/Personnel Officer (of Limited Company)
Warrant officers and Chief Petty Officers

The interview is not the place to explain your previous employment as it is not an interview as such. It is a review of the role play. There is limited opportunity to explain as you would in a standard interview. Finding the right place/area/person to explain this to within HMPS recruitment will be a tricky one. My personal advice would be that if you are worried about the previous reference/employment then start ringing as many people in HMPS recruiting as possible starting with Shared Services.

Just trying to help not put you off.

All the best
M
same time, same place, can't wait

crow

Post by crow » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi,

Thank you for advice!
I had choice between a teacher, an engineer and a firefighter. I picked the last one as he actually knows me both professionally and personally.
I am not worried about references from my last job, as they assured me I would get very good ones. :-) It is more how much I was dissapointed with the company's conduct.
Dress code is absolutely fine with me :-) dress to impress.
I think it is just those small details which make you panic :-)

Thank you!

Kris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic