Footwear again

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Mash
Executive Member
Executive Member

Footwear again

Post by Mash » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:43 pm

Just a quick question relating to footwear, as a prison officer are you allowed to wear steel toecaps or is it a big no no?

bloggs01
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bloggs01 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:01 pm

People will often tell you no, but there is no ruling preventing you.

I wear them, as do many prisoners including the wing orderlies. The dept. would be hard pushed to stop you wearing something considered to be personal protective equipment.

C&R issue boots also have steel toecaps
WARNING - Internet forums may contain nuts

Mash
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mash » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:28 pm

Thanks for the reply

Thats what I assumed would be your justification if challenged that they were deemed to be PPE as you say any employer would be hard pressed to stop you in that case.

UKmember
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by UKmember » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:08 pm

Get yourself some S.W.A.T boots i have some really light and great to wear
Welcome to PrisonOfficer.org.uk
>>> 2008 FAQ PAGE on main site RIGHT HERE - CHECK IT OUT!<<<

Crumbling Victorian Cat B
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Crumbling Victorian Cat B » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:58 pm

The prison service for some time now has been in a situation where Officers question everything that is thrown at them; maybe it’s just changing with society. :evil:

Why has everything got to be written down if you need steel toe caps in your environment, say you’re a cleaning officer, wear them.
If not don’t wear them, we still enforce no steel toe caps as landing staff and it is still enforced, but it’s not written down anywhere, do we have to go as far as writing down when an Officer can scratch his arse on the landing :evil:
Ex Officer

Mash
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mash » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:32 am

The only reason I asked was due to when I worked as a Door Supervisor we had numerous discussions/disagreements with the local police over whether we could wear toe caps on the front door of a nightclub as one bright spark of a copper told us all he deemed them an offensive weapon! Never stopped me wearing them mind.

I appreciate what your saying crumbling that people ask about everything without just doing what they think is right for the situation, just with my experience above I wondered what the Prison Service's views were now I know i'll make my own mind up and not ask bone questions :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic