Advice For New Officer

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

Previous topicNext topic
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Advice For New Officer

Post by londonlad81 »

Hi guys, bit of advice. Went live last week and feel like I need to be consistent and set my boundaries.
During last week I did a few evening shifts after evening roll check. Got cell bells, prisoners asking for toilet roll etc etc.
A few requests were for general apps and other general queries. Due to covid they are on 23 and a half our bang up so I did get them apps and complaint forms. Some prisoners said they had asked staff but that they didn’t get back to them... Was I wrong to do this? I don’t pass things for prisoners, as I was advised not to in training.
Some staff do request for prisoners on evening bang up, some don’t. With covid it seems that IEPs are a waste of time as people are not being put on basic due to lockdown. So no point IEPing a prisoner for cell bells is use.
Any advice?
Taff86
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: Advice For New Officer

Post by Taff86 »

I would tell them to get their apps when they're out on association the next day. Only thing you should do is give them bog roll from under the door. Otherwise you'll be called to everyone's cell for apps etc.

Plus I would keep doing IEPs atleast it's documented on their notes.
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Thing is Taff, prisoners aren’t really getting IEP’d at the moment due to the restrictions. Hence why punishments seem a lot lighter than normal times.
Prisoners asking for apps after bang up because they say they already asked staff who didn’t give them to them or they were only out for a short time. I’ve seen some staff say no to anything other than toilet paper which makes the prisoner think they are being awkward.
Taff86
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Taff86 »

Your not doing anything wrong by giving apps out on a evening shift but you'll soon get fed up of covering the other staff on the wing. Maybe speak to your SO?
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Yes probably best so I can remain consistent, which doesn’t seem to really be in the prison service, contrary to what we get told in training! Be fair and consistent!
kingofthekippax
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by kingofthekippax »

Although no one is really being put on basic, IEPs will have a negative influence in the long run for things like applying for cat D or work.
We had a lad who had 1 negative in 12 months get refused his cat D.. he was a decency rep and good lad but had swore at a an officer when he first moved to our jail.
Do you have a con whose job it is giving apps out? Our lad goes round every morning with any apps the lads need.
:sley: Happyness is door shaped

HMPPS Prison Officer since April 2020
Clem
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Clem »

Great info from you all who have commented on how the job actually is like, I start training in 2 weeks so I'm making notes
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Not sure about an app orderly. Prisoners get half an hour a day for exercise and domestics, due to covid.
Some officers get them stuff when they’re banged up, others don’t. Sounds silly but would be easier if there was a clear answer rather than relying on staffs individual discretion.
Big_Mac

Post by Big_Mac »

Categorically I would say have manners, use your please and thank you’s

Be your authentic natural self, don’t act like some macho muscle officer who is looking for the next bend up.

Be friendly not friends.
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Yes, be yourself and assertive when you need to be, that was advice from training.
Just I’ve seen staff so far work different. Even some staff turn a blind eye to observation panels being covered, again some staff tell them to take it down and others don’t. It’s hard getting the balance right!
Prisoners queries after bang up was my main concern so far after being live for a week...
Shortyshan

Post by Shortyshan »

In my opinion it sounds like those officers have an old fashioned head on a bit and just not giving a toss.

It’s a toughie I guess when your new and seeing how everyone’s doing stuff differently your not sure wether what you’re doing is right or wrong I guess, think I’m going to find that hard to see when I start too.

do what you believe is right and do so with integrity, assertion and care. I know it must be hard to gauge when you don’t want to be taken for a mug by anyone but also the job is there to deliver a duty of care and safety 🤷🏼‍♀️
Craig79
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Craig79 »

I believe each Prison is different with these kinds of things , We have a strict " Nothing to be passed from cell to cell during patrol state" -- we also hand out loo roll at an evening meal -- ( 1 less reason for a cell bell to be pressed) , theres nothing stopping you from implementing that yourself mate , I know its hard in a new job , but I've learnt you have to be very self sufficient in this job. Your right to collect apps , just tell them you'll put them in for the day staff if you can't sign any. Also remind them what a cell bell is for , if lads take the P , remind them of Negative Entries -- all the best
ARC - 21 Mar 2020
Video Appointment - 20 MAY
Conditional Offer - 29 JUNE
Vetting Passed - 11 JULY
The Call - 22 SEPT
Start Date - 16 NOV
Newbold - 30 NOV
londonlad81
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by londonlad81 »

Thanks Craig. Not sure about your place but we have lots of new staff so also makes it difficult too...
Previous topicNext topic