Psychology Department

Ask any question you like, prison officers are here to answer you!

Moderator: Chryo

KT1
Registered Member
Registered Member

Psychology Department

Post by KT1 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:56 pm

Does anyone know what role the psychology department plays in a prison? I have decided against the prison officer route for the time being, I want to get a feel for what working in a prison is about before jumping in as a full blown officer!! Some jobs have come up for psycholgy assistants and I wondererd what their role is? Thanks! :D

scares85
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Psychology Department

Post by scares85 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:13 pm

From what I understand, they do exactly what it says on the tin, assist the Psychology team. This could include interviewing prisoners, running psychometric tests etc. What you'll be doing exactly will depend on which prison you're working at and what part the psychology team play (sex offender treatment programmes etc) One of these positions is crucial if you want to go on to do Forensic Psychology. I find that if you if email the contact for the position and ask for more info then you tend to get quite a lot of info sent via the post.

Do you have a Psychology background?

KT1
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by KT1 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:36 pm

Thanks for that! I work at the moment with adults with learning difficulties and mental health problems, and also have a psychology a level, but they only specify that they want 5 G.C.S.E's. It's something that has always interested me though...

scares85
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by scares85 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:46 pm

Its a fascinating subject, I studied it at Uni and couldn't get enough! Maybe read a couple of books about the kind of thing forensic psychologists do and see if it interests you, that way you'll get an idea of what you'll do as an assistant.
Good luck if you decide to go for it

bloggs01
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by bloggs01 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:20 pm

Psychology Assistants generally run programmes these days - ETS, CALM, PASRO, SOTP etc. Probation Services Officers also do the same work in some prisons and get paid more for it. Both are just cheaper options than employing qualified Psychologists or Probation Officers - a bit like using OSGs instead of officers.

Working as either will give you no insight whatsoever into being a Prison Officer - a bit like becoming an OSG to get some insight into being a Psychology Assistant.
WARNING - Internet forums may contain nuts

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic